Monday, November 12, 2007

Worst Cake Ever




You know, there was a time not long ago I was paid to frost cakes. I think the key there was that I didn't make the frosting. Unless it was ganache. I make a mean ganache. And the cakes had things like nuts or chocolate sprinkles on the sides so I only had to get the tops real smooth.

Not tonight.

I haven't made a worse looking cake in, oh, years. Since before I discovered the joys of an offset spatula. I was embarrassed to bring it with me. What happened? A rush to get it done, is what happened. A perfect storm of a too-powerful mixer and a hurried, harried cook. Yup. I over beat it and it turned to mush. Like melted bubble gum. Stretchy and sticky and gloopy instead of a perfect cloud of soft and shiny buttercream. It was nightmarish.

I tried fixing it. It made it worse. I took it to class and smoothed icing over the top to kind of contain it. Not so pretty. I "tore" a big section of frosting off. Please don't laugh.

And now I see that my beautiful "decorator" icing is bleeding into my awful buttercream. Because the buttercream didn't set up. Eegads. I'm only sharing this so you *might* see an improvement next week.

So. lesson learned: for this class at least "decorator icing" (made with shortening not butter) is going to be the key. And don't try new recipes when in a rush. Bake and frost the day before. Really do.

Next week: Red Velvet Cupcakes with cute flowers and maybe a clown! Scary that...

And just in case you were wondering, the awful looking frosting tastes divine, and the pretty stuff isn't bad. It's made with organic palm-oil shortening. No trans fats. Smooth and creamy and solid...so maybe there is actual hope for next week.

1 comment:

ambrosia ananas said...

I think your "worst" cake looks better than any cake I've ever made. : )