Friday, November 16, 2007

Maia's New Word--Or, The Beginning of the End

John was amazed by how vocal Maia has become in the past week. In a way, it's kind of good to not see her...then you realize how fast she changes. But, when you're gone you don't get to see the changes happening...so it's a catch 22 kind of situation.

Maia's greatest discovery this week? She now knows "no". She knows how to use it, and she really knows what it meas when I say it--as it pertains to me not letting her do what she wants. As evidenced by her screaming fits.

She'll tell me "no" and mean it. It began innocently enough. She was eating cereal. Like this:



(Do you like my new camera? Early birthday present from the BEST HUSBAND EVER.)

She was getting frustrated as she neared the end of the bowl and couldn't scoop the nice clumps of granola out. I tried to help her by pushing the cereal onto her spoon with my own. She looks at me. Opens her mouth and out comes, "No" in the sweetest little voice. I tried again, thinking it was a fluke. This time it's "Mama, NO". OK. I get it, little one. You have discovered the power of "No".

So all week it's been "no" this and "no" that. Every question is met by "no" first off. Then she might reconsider your offer. Or I have to override her authority. I'm hoping she tires of the novelty soon, but somehow, I fear we're in for a lot more of the word.

That little lesson in toddler speak got me to wondering how many words she does know well enough to use. Feel free to skip the list, this is really more for myself than anyone else.

Maia's words:

Mama
Dada
Cheese--pronounced "chee"
Please--pronounced kind of like "peas"
Hi!
Bye!
Night-Night--pronounced "ni ni"
Kitty
Cat
Maia--Daddy taught her this
Miles--Because they play together and it's so close to her name. She won't say Ava or David just yet...we're working on it.
Auntie--Sometimes with a name, Nat for Natalie or Ariee for Arielle
Balloon--pronounced "bpoon" This is an all-purpose word. She uses it for any round object in the air. She uses it for "Moon" and she used it this afternoon while pointing at the oranges hanging form our tree.
Cracker
Eat
No--of course, although she has no word for "Yes". Which kind of disturbs me. We're working on it.
Go
Shoes
Baby--who she pushes in her stroller. Or points to on my shirt today.

My favorite word? That would be broccoli. She pronounces it "braw-coo". She can pick broccoli out of a mixed vegetable dish. She points and says "Brawcoo! Brawcoo!" Then she eats the tops off the stalks and smiles.

I'm sure there are more words. Like tonight she said "Cow" for the first time while making the sign for cow. But the list are words she is now using on a regular basis and really knows what they mean.

I also know that she understands much more than she can speak back right now. This morning I was getting dressed and had my shirt drawer open. Maia was there and I jokingly asked her "What should Mama wear today?" the joke was on me, I picked a shirt out and began to put it on when she looked at me, said "No" and handed me another shirt to put on. The shirt she wanted me to wear. So I changed shirts. I have to learn to not ask for help if I don't really want it. ;)

No comments: