Thursday, November 1, 2007

Maia Moment of the Day

It should be easy to blog for a month by picking an Official Maia Moment of the Day. Don't worry, I'll try and post about other things in my life. But you know, it's my life and Maia pretty much fills my day.

Today's moment is brought to you by the sign
"shoe".

Maia has become obsessed with shoes. It's no wonder. She's my daughter. At the height of my collection I owned close to 50 pairs. That may not sound like a lot of shoes to some of you, but I would forgo eating and any extra closet space for shoes. I love them. I still do, even if my collection has dwindled to under 20 pairs. I don't get out as much as I used to. But I digress.

So Maia fishes a single shoe from her basket of footwear and asks me to put it on for her. Asking consists of making the sign for "shoe" and thrusting her shoe and her foot in my direction. I oblige, but we have a conversation about how she only has one shoe, and she needs the other. I don't know where the other shoe is to be found. She has grabbed one from a pair we don't wear often, mostly because they're still a bit too big. She wanders off, happy in her lopsided shoeness. I figured she'd pull it off in a minute or two and that would be that.

A few minutes later Maia tracks me to the kitchen, matching shoe in hand and asks me to put that other one on her. I still don't know where she pulled it from. But she constantly amazes me at how much she understands.

If only "no" would begin to take on some meaning for her...

1 comment:

ambrosia ananas said...

That's really cute. And yeah, fifty pairs sounds like a lot to me. : )