Sunday, February 25, 2007

Sunday Night Dinner

The rain came in today. It started sometime in the wee early morning hours and continued off and on all day. We had planned on going to the Farmer's Market in the Cat's. It was to be the center of eating for the week, so we didn't let the wet deter us.

What did stop us was the grumpy sleepy baby. Maia has been a grumpy baby for days now. Her schedule is all off and she's just having a hard time and I don't really know why. So when she fell asleep in the car on the way over to the market, John volunteered to stay in the car with her and let her sleep.

I ran through the market in the drizzle, picked up our supplies and the most amazing oranges in the world: Pink Navels. Sweet, crisp, with a slight bite to it. Yum. I get tired of oranges right around this time of year and pink navels have solved that problem for me.

The rain continued and we didn't do much else today. I got restless, Maia remained bored and cranky. I decided to cook a big ol' Sunday night dinner to alleviate my boredom at least (house work and things that really need to get done, like laundry, don't count as boredom alleviators).

Oven fried chicken. Mashed potatoes. Gravy. Rainbow chard with garlic and bacon. Salad. Biscuits. Beer. Yes please. I had the oven going, the stove top poppin', bowls and utensils piling up in the sink and Maia asleep in her swing. I cooked for an hour and a half and managed to get things to the plate still hot. It was a veritable feast. If it weren't for the Lenten fast...which I admittedly stretched tonight...I would have made a cobbler for dessert. But that would have been going to far, for sure.

Nothing says "comfort food" like an old fashioned Sunday dinner.

In other news, I got a kick-butt new haircut on Saturday. Three hours of a cut and color. I went red red red with bright red chunky highlights. And short. I love my new funky red short hair.

Nothing says "here I come" like a new haircut. Watch out.

No comments: