Monday, February 5, 2007

Fluff Ball

OK, business first: No walking today. Sorry. We had Music Together in the morning...only the most fun you can have with a small child in one hour...then we had an important appointment, which is the topic of the post, and then nap time in the car and a shopping trip to Trader Joe's. $167.00 worth of a shopping trip (if you know TJ's, you know that's a high bill...rarely do I bust $100) with no nibbles and only some wine. Yeah. We were out of food.

Our appointment was to see if we would be adding a member to our happy family. As you may or may not know, we lost our dear fuzzballs James and Violet in an evil, violent way over the summer. No desire to rehash. It's been five months and while that seems like a short time to replace our guys, I have been itching for a kitten for the past month. One reason is Maia, she's getting ready to crawl, so I feel it's now or wait another year before introducing a pet. I want a cat to be able to know the lay of the land, so to speak, before being chased by an infant.

I found a rescue group to work with. The woman who runs it is wonderful. While there were some hoops that John found kind of over the top--like the adoption application--we're getting a cat that is going to suit our needs: boy, playful, friendly, not skittish, able to self entertain and willing to be a house cat.

I met Cary, for Cary Grant, and fell in love. He's got a square face, fluffy ears, a puffy tail and a sweet playful demeanor. He loves cat toys. He loves to play. And he loves to be loved. At one point he flopped down on his kitty bed and as I began to pet his head his purr motor kicked in to high gear. I was hooked.

Maia made her animal "huh huh huh" noise and really wanted his tail. We'll be "house training" two babies I fear. He's getting fixed today, including shots and a microchip and he gets to come home to us this weekend. I'm so excited! I need to run to the pet store and pick up food and kitty litter. He's going to be an indoor guy but that will be just fine. I'll need to keep up on my vacuuming but hey, I need to do that anyway.

I think this is a good thing. I've missed our guys, especially James. While a new cat is not a replacement, he will fill a hole in the house. I love having cats around. I think the rest of the family will too.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Hoorah!!! I am so happy for you guys! James is irreplaceable but it will be nice to have another furball around for Maia (and Ellen!). Congrats on the newest addition to your family!!!! Can't wait to see him!