Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Good Life

Yesterday on my afternoon radio fixation there were back-to-back calls from women who were feeling that being a stay-at-home-mom wasn't fulfilling and that they somehow were lost as individuals. While I can understand the sentiment, like on Tuesday when I became the Queen of Poo and that was the highlight of my day, I really can't agree that this job isn't fulfilling.

When I was working, I never heard the words that I heard from my husband last night from an employer: "You make me want to come home at night" meaning; I was a good thing to look forward to. No boss of mine, even my favorite ones whom I loved, thought of me as a reason to come to work and nor did I consider them a reason to work. When I was working, I never had someone I was training or responsible for look at me with the absolute adoration I see in my small daughter. When I was working I never felt as much satisfaction at the end of my day as I do now when I get to snuggle with Maia before she falls asleep then I get to snuggle with John as we chat and watch TV. I never felt so glad for another day, nor did I have as many reasons to get up and get going in the morning as I do now. When I was working, my opinions didn't really count as much as I was asked for them. When I working, I was a small part of a larger picture. Now I am a large part of an important endeavor; running a family and raising a child.

I have never done anything greater nor have I ever enjoyed a job more.

This morning I washed up the dishes from last night while Maia played in the living room. I heard some giggling and banging and decided to check it out. Harvey-cat had crawled into Maia's toy box and Maia was patting his tail and laughing. She started shaking a maraca and Harvey just looked on. It hit me then that this is the good life.

It can be boring at times. There are parts that feel isolating. At three am listening to a baby cry can make you question your decision to disrupt your life so much. Any job can be like this, but so few jobs offer the rewards that mothering has given me. I don't feel as though I've lost myself, on the contrary, I feel as though I have finally found myself. And it is good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so very fortunate! It is definitely the small things isn't it?
Do you have any pics of your new hair?

domestic_valerie said...

Not yet....there might be after this weekend. I love to take pictures of the baby, not of myself. ;)