Saturday, October 1, 2005

Meeting a Legend

Last night I was able to meet a man I adore through his works. Neil Gaiman did a reading/Q&A/book signing in Berkley and of course I had to go. It was fantastic. The reading was incredible, he has a terrific speaking voice. Very nice, very relaxing, very sexy, even (that last part was the general consensus, so not just me). During the Q&A, his humor came across so well. He writes very much like he speaks. It was wonderful to experience the "unscripted voice" and have it match the one in my head, the one I hear when I read him. As I was having my books signed, I managed to say nice things without, hopefully, coming across as a total spazz-case. I would not have traded going to the event for anything.

I have quiet obsessions...no one is ever going to place me in the category of 'Fan' with a capital 'F'. His writing has been a source of much happiness for me over the years. It has inspired me, in small ways, and given me much to think about and enjoy. So the opportunity just to hear him read and to have him tell me, "Thanks for reading and thanks for coming out" was really very special. And I now have a new Neil Gaiman novel to relish. *Happy Sigh* Life is good.

No comments: