Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Every Campus Has One...

you know the eccentric student who makes a statement simply by being there. We have "Boom Box Girl" at SJSU. The comment I heard today, the one that made me realize that BBG is somewhat of an institution was from two sorority-type girls..."There she goes. You can always hear her before you see her."

As snotty as these girls were, they were not far off base. You see, BBG has made it her mission while at State to share her love of eclectic music with the rest of the campus. She is not an i-Pod bopper, not BBG. She is old skool all the way. She rides around campus in the morning usually, although I have heard her in the afternoon as well, on a tricycle (adult size...don't think Shriner's here) with a huge basket in the back wearing a backpack whose sole purpose in life is to carry her very large, very loud, and I might add very clear-sounding, boom box. The boom box is loaded with a strange, and sometimes pleasing, mix cd of what I'm guessing to be her favorite musical styles. One day it's the Beastie Boys followed by...get this...Frank Sinatra. One day it's pretty hard core new rock with a touch of English pop thrown in. Today it was almost exclusively seventies disco. "Ring My Bell" played a large part in my head today.

She must make a new cd for everyday. Not once have I heard a repeat. She glides around on her three big wheels...happy as can be...back and forth across campus sharing her love of music.

Like I said...this is college life and I gotta enjoy it while I can. :0

1 comment:

darrylant said...

RDF Schema for musical family trees?
O'Reilly European Open Source Convention October 17-20, 2005, Amsterdam, The Netherlands I was recently talking to another alternative music geek at a party -- trying to explain the incestuous relationship ...
Great blog! I enjoyed reading it even though I came across it by pure chance! I was actually looking for last minute caribbean travel which features some pretty good deals. Anyway, keep up the good and keep BLOGGING!