Saturday, November 7, 2009

Amazon.com

Tonight, as silly as it might seem, I am grateful for Amazon.com.

Yes, Internet shopping.

I am a recent convert. I really like brick and mortar shopping. I like interacting with people...I am in love with small family run toy stores and shop at those places when I can. I love touching objects and getting new ideas from looking at the selections. And there is something to be said about getting a feel for the quality of an item before you purchase it. So Internet shopping was not really my thing.

It started with Half.com. CD's. Movies. Text books. Easy things. Then I discovered Amazon. It was a flirtation at first. The I had Maia and shopping became a touch more...complex. And when I had two tiny infants for the Christmas season last year Amazon became a life saver.

This year, I am really trying to get a jump on my Christmas game. I have more folks to shop for (yay babies!!) and less time to get stuff together because we are spending Christmas with our out of state family, which means we need to ship presents. That double stroller takes up a whole bunch of trunk space!

Enter Amazon. I actually have a paper list running and tomorrow I think I might start an actual Amazon list. I "accidentally" signed up for Amazon Prime (the yearly subscription that gets you free two-day shipping). I hope to have shopping done by Thanksgiving...barring those few last minute items that always come up. But with two-day shipping I'll probably just Amazon those as well. The plus is no cranky kids in stores, no wandering around the mall and no subterfuge trying to disuade those same small children from believing those presents are for them. And no, you can't play with that toy for your "cousin".

So thank you Amazon.com for making what is a stressful time (shopping) a plesent time (unless you don't have what I need!!). I think I might go see what you have to offer right about now.

No comments: