Thursday, April 20, 2006

James is the Best Cat Ever

I was inspired this morning to sew. I had the fabric, I had the plans and I have been thinking on this project for weeks now. I made my very first ring sling for the baby. Nothing fancy, just some nice woven fabric, bright purple brushed aluminum rings and a very long tail. I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out. So pleased in fact, I think I will attempt to make a padded sling next with the fabric I didn't end up using and the extra rings I ordered. Why not?

I needed to try on the sling. I've never worn one before, and I was wondering how it would really feel. As there is a lack of babies in the house at this very moment I wondered how I could simulate the weight of a small child across my shoulders. A-ha. I do have a 10lb cat wandering around...but the sun is out and last I saw, he was outside enjoying it. Still musing with the empty sling strapped across my back and chest, I turned as the soft click of the cat door announced the arrival of my dear, sweet victim.

James headed straight for the clean folded laundry on the bed. That was my excuse. Tightening the inner "pouch" of the sling I waltzed into the bedroom and picked up my fur baby in the cradle hold. Gently holding him in one arm and opening the sling with the other, I placed him inside. At first, I thought he was going to bolt for dear life. His little head poked out the top and he turned to face me and let out a plaintive "mew". I simply cradled his back and adjusted the sling until he was snug, but not suffocated. He relaxed. I let go of his backside and started to walk around the house. He poked his head over the side and to watch from this new angle as I walked. It was great. Very comfortable. I felt his warm little body and could tell he was very secure. He must think I'm crazy.

After about 10 minutes of jouncing around, I thought I had better not push my luck with his patience. I didn't want claw marks on my new sling, after all. I walked back to the bedroom and gently got him into my arms and out of the sling. I'm amazed at how easy it was to get a good hold on him coming in and out of the sling. I put him back on the bed and he curled right up again for a nap, no worse for the wear.

My only regret is that I don't have a picture to share of James all snug in the baby sling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be curious to know how you made your baby sling. My sister just had her first baby, and I desperately want to get her a sling, but don't want to pay the $70+ for it. It seems like such a simple thing to make. Do you know if there are any websites with templates?

domestic_valerie said...

The site I used for the pattern (and fabric reccomedations and a link to order the good rings...) is

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/index.html

Go under "do it yourself" for great instructions. She has padded sling patterns, wrap instrucions, and the popular Mei Tie instructions.

It took me about an hour and a half to complete the project from pulling out the machine to threading the wrap...that includes some modifications I made for myself.

Have fun, and good luck Auntie!