Tuesday, April 25, 2006

42 Days and Counting...

It's gone from 40 weeks down to about 40 days. Time flies when you're having a baby.

John and I attended our childbirth class last Saturday. We did the intensive one day eight hour session...that ended up being about nine hours. Our instructor loved the topic, has been teaching classes and acting a professional doula and is currently six months pregnant. Great combination for a class...but it was hard to condense the information.

It was a different experience than what I thought it would be. I was prepared to be frightened by everything we didn't know yet...but it turns out I should be more scared of what everyone else didn't yet know. Was I really the only woman there who already knew (and practicing) what Kegel's are? I thought, foolish me, that most people in this day and age and in this area, would have read up on the basics and would be looking for some specifics from the class. Not so. In Santa Clara County only about 10% of all expecting women attend a birthing class. I wonder what the other 90% do? I know it's an option, but I thought most people would want to know what to expect when the big D-day arrives. I do. Also, Santa Clara County has the highest rate of epidural use in the nation at 98% of births. I'm not judging, because I am so willing to accept the epidural, but I'm at least going to try other things before the feeling in my legs is taken away. That idea kind of bothers me. Laugh all you want mom's who have been there...but we all have our own ideas about labor and how we would like it go.

John and I left thinking that for most couples there that day, this was the only preparation they would do. That's fine...it's at least some preparation. We had breathing techniques explained, comfort measures practiced and some alternative labor positions presented. I like the over-the-side-of-the-bed-squat-bar position. Sounds kind of kinky doesn't it? What was reassuring was the knowledge that John and I are preparing ourselves as much as we can. I think that will make a world of difference when the time comes. It will hopefully allow us to have a sense of control over what is happening...control in that we understand what is going on and what our options are. I will say, John was the best husband there. But, I might be biased.

Six more weeks...give or take. It's getting kind of scary. Yesterday I was bone tired and not feeling very peppy. I had a classmate look at me and go..."You look like you're done with being pregnant and ready to have a baby." Yesterday I might have felt that way...but today I'm just ready to make it through to finals. Yup. I have one month of school left, and only a couple weeks of actual instruction to go. My biggest concern is: What have I learned this semester? Lot's about stars, literature, and even something about myself. It's all kind of a jumble right now mapped out in papers and projects. I'll do all right. Keep your fingers crossed for the next 42 days...

1 comment:

ambrosia ananas said...

My mom regrets having an epidural with her first child. She had some difficulty but couldn't feel and so the doctor (nurse?) decided to be helpful and grabbed the kid's head with tongs. Permanent nerve damage to the face.

Which is not to say that it's going to happen to many people. Just that not everyone would think it silly of you not to have the epidural as your first and only option.