Monday, March 6, 2006

Doula-Waah-Ditty-Ditty-Dum-Ditty-Doo

I just finished reading "The Official Lamaze Guide to Giving Birth with Confidence". My favorite analogy was the "new shoe blister pain aversion". I can relate to that, having worn wildly inappropriate shoes to most functions for the greater part of my life. I am nursing blisters right now from an extended no-sock excursion two weeks ago. Hmm...so labor as a painful blister you must work through, 'cause you chose to wear those lovely shoes, after all. Yeah, I can deal with that.

Somehow, I imagine labor will be slightly more painful than a blister. And those nights of wildly inappropriate shoe wearing I usually had some kind of pain killer going on: lots of drinks.

As I head into the final push (forgive my pun) of pregnancy, the labor process has been on my mind. I am not expecting to avoid pain, but I would like to avoid unnecessary discomfort. The Lamaze book (a philosophy, not just a breathing method anymore!) gave me much to think about. I had to create some serious mental filters while reading to avoid the heavy handed propaganda against the medical community, but with this accomplished I got some good advice and some real food for thought. One avenue I am going to explore that I hadn't considered before is to hire a professional labor support person, otherwise known as a doula.

The term "doula" comes from the Greeks, and was the most trusted female member of a lady's house. She was the personal support for the woman of the house, and today doulas are the personal support for a laboring woman. They offer emotional support all the way through labor and delivery, and are trained in relaxation techniques as well as various labor and birthing positions. They have attend many, many births, and know what to expect. They do not offer medical advice, but can remind you of your options, and guide you to ask questions to determine the best course of action for your birth. Women who labor with doulas often don't need medical intervention or drugs to make it through labor. While I'm not against painkillers, I would like to avoid as many interventions as possible. Just to see if I can do it.

Another reason I'm thinking of having a doula with me, is I like the idea of someone impartial being around during the birthing process. I know John will be with me, but he's going to be as emotionally attached to the situation as I am. It would be nice to have someone who can help both of us remain calm and focused. It takes the pressure off both of us to be at top performance, and I think will allow us to relax and remain a bit calmer during the storm.

The trouble I'm running into now is how to find a doula. Because I'm not willing to buck the traditional system all together, I am not in a position to easily seek a doula or two out. If I was using a midwife, or going the birth center route, I'm sure I would have one already. As it is, I am using a traditional hospital and a single practice OB as my main birthing team. I've had no luck finding doulas in this area so far, but my search has just begun. The Internet has sadly let me down on this one, unless I want to go to San Francisco or Santa Cruz to deliver this baby. Neither are my first choices, so we'll see what comes up in the good ole South Bay.

I have a few more months to figure things out. Otherwise, it'll just be me and the hubby against the contractions.

2 comments:

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

A friend of mine told me she would just think of her labor pains as one of those brain freezes you get from 7-11 Slurpees. You drink it real fast, you get the brain freeze, you have to breathe through that pain, but you know the brain freeze always goes away. So, if you go get a Mega Sized Slurpee and drink it real fast, then you'll know what it'll feel like to be in labor! LOL.

Oh, and the Starbucks card is gone, and I shared it with the kiddies by not only getting my cinaminayouknowhat, but I also got them kidsizehotchocolatesextrachocolate,onewithwhiponenowhip!

domestic_valerie said...

Yeah! I'm glad everyone got in on the Starbucks action!

Hmm...as soon as it warms up some, I'm going to have to go and get a HUGE Slurpee for practice. ;)