Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Week In Review

Yes, I know it's only Tuesday, but the week I speak of is last week. It was the first week of classes and everyone knows how fun that can be. I did have one new experience, I needed to add a class. Why should that be so hard, one might ask. Well...the answer would be: too many bodies, not enough room. The class I wanted to add was so full that students were sitting on the floor, trying to get in. I sat in the hallway and waited for the end of class to speak with the instructor. She didn't have much hope, but maybe the desperation in my eyes, or my general "I'm a good student and you'll love having me in class" vibe, paid off. I was told to e-mail her and keep showing up. Perhaps she'd find some room for me.

The rest of the scheduled week was great. I'm in a production class for writers. We'll be putting out both a newsletter for the English Department and a compilation of writing for the class. I'm hoping to get some good experience in this class for future freelance work. We'll be covering all kinds of styles from the genre of creative non-fiction. It's exactly what I need. Yeah! My goal for the year that I'm doing "baby life" is to get my feet wet in the freelance world. I'm going to start with trade magazines for the restaurant industry. I've read that trade work is good work, and I would be qualified to write for them. And all you mom's out there...please don't laugh. I know I'm going to be too busy to do anything but baby life, but jeez, I have to have another project on the burner or I don't feel like I'm doing enough. It is just my way.

So...I am excited about this semester. I did get in to the really full class yesterday, so, Yeah! Food and Culture! I am going to the fun class this afternoon to see what project and production assignment I will be concentrating on this semester. Right now I have to finish up a little piece of Beowulf and do some binder organization. Woo-hoo. I love being in school.

Oh! Happy 22 weeks to baby today. Please keep your fingers crossed for a full 40 week pregnancy. I have finals during week 37-38. I know. But I like to live on the edge.

1 comment:

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

You make me want to go back to college! : )

I really wish I paid more attention back then. I really think college should begin in your mid-twenties, when you're tired of all that drinking and kind of WANT to learn. I missed out on that! Really.