Monday, January 9, 2006

Good Baby

I have been tempted to find out the sex of the baby. Yes, deep down in my heart I love surprises, but there is that little nagging feeling that wants to know. You know the feeling...someone tells you that have found the perfect gift for you, you're going to love it, but your birthday is still six months away. You know you don't want to ruin the surprise. Yet, at the same time it's driving you crazy wanting to know.

So, today we went for our first big ultrasound. This is the one where if we were going to find out now would be the time. I have been dithering for the last couple of days, thinking (hoping) that maybe the tech would slip and we'd find out, or that the baby would be positioned in such a way that it would be obvious. Then, hey, we didn't ask to know, it just happened so no harm no foul, we know now and names would be easier to decide upon.

We have a good baby. A good baby and a great tech.

We, meaning hubby and I, went in to the office and at first I was put off. There was a huge line and I had a full bladder, per instructions. Not a good combo. I waited half an hour in line to have my paperwork processed, and was told that darling hubby would only be allowed to join me in the room for the very last part of the exam. That sucks. I think the medical profession needs to reward more dads for coming to appointments. They need to be involved in the whole thing if they choose to take time out and visit the doctor...when they don't have to. I don't like that for the most part they are expected to wait outside during the exams and only get to hear the tail end of everything. Our OB is great in this respect, hubby is allowed for the entire check-up and he is as encouraged as I to ask questions. I digress...

I was shuffled off to the "women's only" waiting room. Before I knew it, our tech had arrived and not only was asking for me, but she called hubby in right away. Cheers! Next, she said that she didn't need to do the exam with a full bladder, so I was instructed to go ahead and let it out. Whew! That made a huge difference. It was so much more fun to watch, without wondering when it would end, so I could pee.

The exam was very, very cool. Warm gel, dark room, and little baby pictures on a screen. We did remain strong, and let the tech know that we didn't want to know the sex. No sweat, she said, she didn't want to know either (not medically relevant). The good baby part comes in with the fact that while swooping around with the sound stick, it was discovered that the baby was lying with legs firmly shut. Modest child. We would have had to have done some real poking about to get the child's sex...baby wants to be a surprise and so mommy is happy with that. I will note that hubby was looking; he was interested in seeing if he could figure it out on his own. He came away thinking "girl"...so that's his guess in the baby poll. I still say it's anybody’s game.

All we really care about is that the little one's heart is still beating strong, organs have developed, there are little tiny legs and feet and arms and hands that wave and wiggle. It is truly an amazing sight, this little tiny life living inside of me right now. The little head was right under my belly button...I am blown away every time I think about that.

At our next doctor’s appointment, we'll find out what all the pictures mean. Nothing seemed to look weird, but as our tech explained, it's her job to record, not interpret. I'll also get the blood work results...the prenatal screens that can give a clue as to any problems that might develop. I'm gunning for the "all clear". So far, everything seems to be going along just fine...and in a few more months we'll know for sure. We'll also know if we have a Charlotte* or an Isaac* on our hands. Good baby. :)


*Just trying names out...nothing has yet been decided; so don't hold us to any names I might post here.

No comments: