Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A Collection of Small Things

I got to meet the latest baby to join our circle yesterday. He's Little D, the son of my former employer. He's adorable, with tons of black hair, just like his Momma. I was honored to be able to attend his Bris Milah, the traditional circumcision preformed on the eighth day after birth. While most people would cringe, it was a beautiful ceremony that connects the new son of the family with all of his male relatives, back to Abraham. Little D was well behaved, he cried a bit during the procedure, but after a good feeding he went to sleep and seemed just fine. Seeing it preformed, and seeing the reaction of a real baby, has cemented in me our decision to have our son circumcised, if and when we have a boy baby.

In other tradition news, I was showered on Sunday by my friends and family. It was lovely. While I missed those who could not make it, those who did were a wonderful collection of old family friends, Aunts, cousins and close friends. We spent most of the time just chatting and enjoying each others company...and of course eating the spread put out by Mom and Sister M (my Mom's best friend and like family to us), who hosted at her lovely home. Little Baby T received some thoughtful and adorable gifts and our playroom library has been well stocked. Just perfect for the English major's baby. I mentioned to John in passing how much fun I was going to have reading to the baby, and he gave me a look and said, "I'm going to enjoy reading to the kid just as much." He loved the big collection of fairytales from around the world we received. Our kid won't need TV at this rate...

My diapers arrived. A box filled with little cloth coverings and poly/nylon wraps. It doesn't look like a $450 box...but it is. The company included a FAQ all about washing and caring for our cloth investment, so now we're both thinking about buying new detergents just for diaper washing. And kidlette clothes washing. Our laundry room is going to fill up...good thing we got the pedestal stand underneath the new washing machine. At least we'll be able to keep it somewhat organized.

Speaking of organized, I have found the last two pieces of furniture to complete the nursery. And, they came as a set. I found a posting on Craigslist (online for sale ads that are community specific and free to post. I love Craigslist...we've purchased all of our baby furniture for pennies on the dollar from the site) for a glider rocker and a changing table. The rocker doesn't have an ottoman, but I'm cool with that, if I need foot support I'd like a small footstool. It has the big plush cushions and it's red in color. Perfect for the room. I love color, but was becoming resigned to either a denim blue (yuck) or beige (boring). The only catch is, they're located about an hour north of us. So, yes, we're driving out there on Saturday. But, it's a super deal, worth the gas. And we might even get to get an IKEA trip in. Oh joy!

John is in Fishkill, NY for the next couple of days...leaving me with my homework and not much else. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get some housework done. I have been slacking off big time on that! I should. I'd also like to get my padded sling sewn. That won't take too long, and I need to adjust my unpadded sling as well...cut some tail off and make pockets.

I have my 36-week appointment tomorrow. I'm on the weekly visit schedule now. All my teachers know I'm expecting at this point...I told the last two today. I only have to make it through to the 25th of this month then the kid is welcome at any time. Ideally, I'll get a week to rest and finish up home projects, but, as long as school is done...everything else can wait.

Speaking of schoolwork, it's time to get some homework done and then...load the dishwasher. Small things add up in the long run.

2 comments:

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

"All my teachers know I'm expecting at this point...I told the last two today."

Val--You're 36 weeks and some teachers COULD NOT TELL?? How much have you gained? Are you a teeny little peanut?

Loved this post.
Very baby-cute! : )

domestic_valerie said...

I've gained a good amount of weight..I'm no small fry...I've added about 35 lbs by this point. But, I am carrying very elongated. I have no high bump and a lot of baby gets hidden by my pants. Plus, in this PC age, no teacher would presume to ask if I was expecting...or just putting on weight. That could be some kind of harassment. ;)