Friday, November 18, 2005

Where Did The Week Go?

Darling Husband was out of town on business for two days at the beginning of the week. I had all sorts of plans and goals to accomplish. Yeah right. I spent Monday night on the couch eating take out Indian food (so so yummy) and watching random recorded shows on the Myth Box. I was up until about 1am. Then about 3am I was awoken from my slumber by a gigantic wind storm rushing through the neighborhood. So very strong it rocked out the gate across the driveway and caused very loud, very scary noises to be made. About 3:15 I got up the courage to look outside and figured out what was going on. Around 3:30 I decided I couldn't "sleep through it" and had to take decisive action. This involved me running outside in my comfy robe and slippers and propping the gate open with a large and heavy rock. Problem solved. The wind still kept me up for the remainder of the night. Sigh.

Tuesday I babysat and chatted with a friend way to late. Nothing but goodwill and friendship accomplished. Oh, I did manage to get the dishes in to the dishwasher before the roommate came home. Whew. That was a lot.

The rest of the week remains a blur. I am now staring Thanksgiving in the face. I'm helping with 30 people in my mom's two bedroom home. Tomorrow I must shop...as I also have the pre-Thanksgiving happy fun time party in the City with friends on Sunday. I am so looking forward to it. It'll be nice to have a great relaxed dinner with friends before the huge production of Thanksgiving with the family happens.

I have come to the realization that Thanksgiving is the biggest production holiday my family does. It is the one holiday my mom hates to give up. She revels in cooking a large fancy meal for bunches of people. Thanksgiving was always a bigger dinner than Christmas or Easter. I too, revel in it now. The prospect of making huge quantities of food for a crowd pleases me. We've been planning this dinner since roughly, July. No joke.

After this, I have to get Christmas planned. It's happening here this year, and the construction on the street has left the house dusty. I'll be cleaning windows and curtains...and making new drapes for the living room...in preparation for Darling's family staying with us.

I have already started my gift shopping, though. When you order on-line, now is the time! OK, I know most of you out there have finished your shopping, but this is good for me. Trust me on this one.


--
...everybody eats when they come to my house!

2 comments:

t.a.f.k.a.y.e.l.r.a. said...

Can't... hardly... type... I.. ate... too... much... !

ambrosia ananas said...

Hey, thanks for the comment. :) You're right--we do seem to have a lot in common. Lit and editing, cooking (sounds like you're better at it than I am), firstbornness, firstnameness. . . .

Interesting post back in August about our society's need to fill the silence. I think it's true, and I'm not quite sure why we're not comfortable just being alone with ourselves from time to time.

Anyway, congrats on the baby. Are you going to find out what it is or be surprised?