Monday, August 10, 2009

Back into the Swing

So. Our back porch chest freezer went out while we were on vacation. Of course. This time wasn't as bad last time, thanks to having vaccum sealed meat as opposed to butcher-paper wrapped. Still. 20 pounds of rotten hamburger and assorted steaks (all the good cuts we've been saving natch) make a healthy stink. And because we never did replace the plug on the front the drippings attracted a slew of ants. And some of those ants found their way into the house.

Good thing I did a fairly good wipe-down before leaving, otherwise I'd have gotten back in the car and driven back to Idaho. I hate ant infestations.

I'm fairly zen when it comes to most common household bugs. Mostly because killing them creeps me out more than just letting them be to a certain extent. Not ants. I go bonkers over even one...because I just know there are thousands more waiting in the wings. Yesterday I cleaned up the small trail, wiped down the counters and swept up the floor. This morning they came back. I was ready. I know the game.

Today it was ant spray on the outside of the door where they seem to be coming in. And spray on the deck by the (now clean, thanks John!) chest freezer. And pellets for good measure. Then a good deep scrub of the kitchen floor plus an airing out of the kitchen rug.

I'll finish working through the living room...gotta unpack today I think. At least I should start the process. Getting back into the rhythm of daily life is hard. But it's all worthwhile in the end.

1 comment:

ambrosia ananas said...

Oh, man. I'm sorry. That's awful.