Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Gold Star Day

This space is fast becoming a place to jot down things I just need to remember. If I was a better journal-keeper Maia might have a chance at having an actual baby/childhood memory book, but as it is, I'll just have to print out select pages from this blog.

Pages that cover days like today.

Maia used her potty all on her own today. First time she's gone pee in the potty and I couldn't be happier. We were getting ready for bed and as I was taking off her diaper-with her help-I noticed it was dry. Then Maia asked to go sit on the potty. Sometimes this is a diversionary tactic to avoid putting on pj's and finishing the nightly routine, but I let her go into the bathroom anyway.

She came right out and asked me to go with her. So she sat on her potty and I sat on "my" (closed) potty and all of a sudden, tinkle! There it was. Maia going in the potty.

She looked kind of confused. Almost bewildered. She stood up and said "Uh-oh" but I quickly began cheering and clapping and letting her know what a cool thing she just did. Then she got to use "big girl wipes" (toilet paper) and flush the big potty. And then she smiled.

She did get her two chocolates...and wasn't that interested in eating them. That's alright so close to bed time.

Of course the only wrinkle in all of this is her timing. We're leaving for family road trip vacation at the end of the week and I hadn't planned on working on any potty stuff along the way. But maybe we'll try right before bed. Maybe this was just a fluke, but, it's something I'd like to encourage.

We'll go from here but right now I'm just as tickled as can be with my little big girl.

1 comment:

ambrosia ananas said...

Yay! That's fantastic.