Sunday, August 28, 2005

Is It Normal?

I am so tired right now. I must be getting old. I ate too much last night, didn't drink close to the amount I used to at these wonderful dinner parties and have been bone dead tired all day. *sigh* It's hot and it takes too much energy to move...in any case...had a lovely dinner last night. We entertained a couple with young children. The evening was great, the company fabulous the conversation sparkling and the kids a delight. But by 10:30 p.m. I was ready to fall asleep. It's just not the same as it used to be...a bunch of twenty-somethings gathered around a make-shift table in the living room, plates piled high and balanced dangerously with bottles of beer and glasses of wine. Everyone eats, drinks, and talks too loud waaay into the night. Even those evenings are a far cry from the informal gatherings I would have as a barely twenty-something late at night after a dinner shift working at the restaurant...where chips and salsa and mixed drinks were the call of the hour and we'd go until dawn...

it must be the slowing down of old age and i don't really care for it

I hope my friends still invite me out when I have a small child. I hope that someday I will regain the power to stay up all night. I'm only afraid that by the day that comes, I'll be too old to enjoy it.

At least one thing hasn't changed. I still get the Sunday evening blues.

1 comment:

t.a.f.k.a.y.e.l.r.a. said...

Don't be sad. That's my advice. Do you like it?