Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Maia had Better Marry Well

I had the most lovely day yesterday entertaining Miss Ambrosia Ananas who I am getting to meet IN REAL LIFE. My first Internet friendship get together and we had a wonderful time on a gourmet (if whirlwind) tour of San Francisco.

We went to the Ferry Building Marketplace and were lucky enough to go on the weekday where they have the open air Farmer's Market happening. So much lovely fruit and tomatoes! Of course inside is a culinary wonderland and we shopped our way through the cooking store and then decided to eat our way through the rest of the Ferry Building stopping at Recchiuti Confections, Scharffen Berger, Miette (pastry shop) and a little grocery for salty snacks.

After the Ferry Building we headed up to Ghirardelli Square to raid the chocolate shop and try some delicious cupcakes at Kira's Cupcakes.

Um yeah. So I'm waiting until Friday to have my blood sugars drawn, I think.

While we were sampling chocolate divine at Recchiuti, Maia had the chance to show how we are raising her to be a trophy wife someday. I had decided to purchase one (my mistake) of Recchiuti's signature burnt caramel chocolates for myself. Maia of course wanted in on the dark chocolate action and asked for some. I handed over the UNSAMPLED, by me, chocolate and she immediately made it hers--eating it with a combination of delicacy and gusto that only a true gourmet can achieve. This was witnessed by a rather astonished woman who looked at me and noted that Maia had refined tastes.

"Yes", I replied "She prefers her chocolate to be between a 68% and a 72%".
"Really", was the woman's reply. "No Hershey's for her, then."
"Nope" I laughed. "And you know what else she loves? Sushi. We're raising her to be an expensive date."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maia, the trophy wife, ehh?

*shudder*

Perhaps we should get past potty training before we worry so much about that :)

BTW -- Ambrosia's blog linked above is not publicly visible.

ambrosia ananas said...

It was wonderful to meet you and John and Maia. (My goodness, that girl has good taste.) And thank you *so* much for giving me the SF tour. That was a great day.